regular textmedium textlarge text
Print This Page

Passes & Visas

Passes & Visas

Non-residents must hold a valid work pass before they can work in Singapore. Employers who hire foreigners without valid work passes can be prosecuted under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.

A Guide to Singapore’s Work Passes
An introduction to the criteria and rules when applying for an Employment Pass (for professionals), S Pass (for mid-level skilled workers) and Work Permit (for semi-skilled or unskilled workers).

For professionals

From 1 August 2014, as part of the Fair Consideration Framework, firms that wish to hire Employment Pass (EP) holders must first advertise that position in the Singapore Workforce Development Agency’s Jobs Bank. The advertisement must be open to Singaporeans, comply with the Tripartite Guidelines on Fair Employment Practices and run for at least 14 calendar days. EP applications which do not meet this advertising requirement will not be accepted.

Employment Pass

The Employment Pass allows foreign professionals to work in Singapore. It applies to foreigners who earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $3,300, and have acceptable qualifications. Employers must make applications for Employment Passes on behalf of a job candidate. Any change of employer will require a new application. read more

Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)

The Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) is for certain group of existing Employment Pass holders and overseas foreign professionals. Unlike an Employment Pass, which must be cancelled when the pass holder leaves the employer, the PEP is not tied to the employer and is granted on the strength of the applicant’s merit. A PEP holder can remain in Singapore for up to six months between jobs to evaluate new employment opportunities. read more


Foreign entrepreneurs who would like to start businesses in Singapore should apply for the EntrePass. read more

Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate

The Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate has been discontinued since 1 December 2011. The Ministry of Manpower no longer accept any applications or appeals for this scheme. read more

For mid-level skilled workers

S Pass

The S Pass allows mid-level skilled foreigners who earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $2,200 to work in Singapore. Employers must make S Pass applications on behalf of a job candidate.

S Pass applications are assessed on multiple criteria including salary, education qualification, skills, job type and work experience. read more

For skilled & semi-skilled workers

Work Permit

A Work Permit (WP) is generally issued to foreign unskilled workers.

The duration of a Work Permit is generally two years, subject to the validity of the worker’s passport, the Banker’s/Insurance Guarantee, and the worker’s employment period, whichever is shorter. The worker is only allowed to work for the employer and in the specified occupation. read more

Specific variants of Work Permits allow foreigners to work as domestic helpers, confinement nannies and performing artistes.

For foreigners’ dependants

Dependant's Pass

Eligible Employment Pass and S Pass holders can apply for Dependant’s Passes for their spouse (legally married) or unmarried children under 21 years of age, including those legally adopted. read more

Long Term Visit Pass

Employment Pass and S Pass holders earning a fixed monthly salary of at least $4,000 can apply for Long Term Visit Passes for their common-law spouse, unmarried step-children under 21 years of age or unmarried handicapped children above 21 years of age. Those earning $8,000 and above can also apply the pass for their parents. read more

Short-term passes

Miscellaneous Work Pass

The Miscellaneous Work Pass is for foreigners working in Singapore on short-term assignments that fall into certain specific activity categories. read more

Work Permit for Performing Artistes

This work pass is for foreign artistes performing at any Public Entertainment Licenced bar, discotheque, lounge, night club, pub, hotel, private club or restaurant for a maximum of six months. read more

For students & foreigners undergoing training

Foreign students in Singapore are not allowed to work during term time or vacation time unless they are granted Work Pass exemption. The Training Work Permit, the Training Employment Pass or the Work Holiday Programme must be applied for foreign students who wish to take up any work. read more

Work Holiday Programme

The Work Holiday Programme (WHP) allows foreign university students and recent graduates, between 18 and 25 years old, to come to Singapore to live and work for up to six months. read more

Training Employment Pass

Foreigners undergoing practical training attachments for professional, managerial, executive or specialist jobs in Singapore should apply for a Training Employment Pass. read more

Training Work Permit

The Training Work Permit allows unskilled or semi-skilled foreign trainees undergoing practical training in Singapore to work for up to six months. read more

For Long Term Visit Pass holders

Long Term Visit Pass holders who wish to work in Singapore should apply for a Work Pass – an Employment Pass, S Pass or Work Permit. read more

For Long Term Visit Pass holders accompanying their children studying in Singapore, they are not be allowed to hold a work pass during their first year in Singapore. After the first year, they will be allowed to hold a work pass, and be employed in Singapore. read more

Last updated on 28 October 2014 05:59:41